Jack Farras, our resident Yogi gives his views on nutrition to optimise your Yoga Republic lifestyle.
Yoga classes – as I’m sure I don’t have to tell you – are one of the most rewarding ways you can spend your ‘you’ time but your body needs the correct foods to help you though each class …..before, during and after which is why it’s worth while installing some basic smart nutrition habits to get more out of your considerable efforts and support your goal of a healthier. Enjoy.
10 smart nutrition habits to ease your path to yoga nirvana
1. Pre-cut your vegetables. Do it at night after you clean the dishes, in preparation for the next day. Or do it in the morning. It takes 5 minutes, but the perception of a job already done when you get home the next night is incredibly satisfying. AND it will ensure you eat them 🙂
2. Start your day,,every day, with 1 to 2 glasses of of water,(room or luke warm temperature). A squeeze of lemon or lime to increase effects of detox.
3. After at least 10 mins, follow that up with a fruit or vegetable shake.Include seeds such as chia or flaxseed,And a spoonful of Natural Yoghurt (no low fat please). Change it up with fruit and veggies, but my favorite base is watermelon.Add organic natural protein powders to boost.Still hungry??..EGGS!!Love Eggs!!So easy,,,any which way.
4. Keep the basic 10 (or whatever assortment of veg/protein you juice/eat regularly ) in the house at all times. Just do it. You’ll never have an excuse not to eat well.
5. Plan a quick weekly meal plan, or at least a quick 2-3 day meal plan. It doesn’t have to be a spreadsheet! Just jot down or at least mentally note what you plan to eat over the next few days. Make a note of the stuff that needs to be cooked, and make a shopping list accordingly. Obviously it makes sense to do this plan before shopping!
6. Keep back up protein options in the freezer at all times. If you see a good deal on quality protein, snap up extra. Always keep at least a few kgs of protein in the freezer for those times when you don’t get around to shopping or somehow underestimate what you need. This is on of my favourite nutrition habits! ANd did I mention EGGS! ANd please don’t waste the yellow! The yolk has the largest portion of nutrients and minerals and loaded with protein.Don’t believe what you read about the negative impact on cholesterol.So not true.
7. Find fun ways to eat foods that can otherwise become bland. The latest thing in our house is green smoothie ice lollies They are so much fun! My two young daughters help make them and have one every night after dinner. Okay, me too 🙂 … . What can you do to make bland or repetitive foods a bit more interesting? We are fortunate to have a plethora of amazing herbs and spices in abundance in Phuket, ginger, lemon grass, corriander, chillies, sweet basil, mint, kafir lime all readily available, cheap and each one with their own magical health benefits.
8. Be smart about snacking whether at work or at home. The thing I hear again and again from busy clients is they don’t get around to snacking. Or they turn to something junky. Keep a trail mix at the office and at home, some quality dark chocolate, some organic protein powder, even tins of salmon. I’m not a huge fan of tinned food, but it’s fine for a back up. And always bring a bag of those pre-chopped veggies, stuff like cucumber, celery and capsicum is great for snacks. Or more boiled egg and haloumi!
9. Have a post workout snack always ready to go. Any of the above would be fine actually, but a protein shake is the easiest and smartest option, especially straight after weights. Go for the Woman Incredible organic protein – it’s delicious! You still need to eat some solid food 30-60 minutes after that. That’s where your meal plan will come in handy. At Yoga republic our juice bar is ready to serve you up a juice,,or try one of our energy balls..YUMMY!
10. Plan your treat meals in advance, even if only on the day. Stick with the plan. The easiest way ever to fall off the clean eating wagon is to indulge in a treat meal and then kind of just – keep going. Get around this by deciding in advance what your indulgence will be. AND – more importantly – decide what you will have from the next meal after that, to get straight back on track.
Those are my top 10 smart nutrition habits, and they definitely keep me on the straight and narrow clean eating path!
OH!! Actually One more 🙂
Finish your day also with 1 to 2 glasses of room temperature or luke warm water (no lemon) . If you are thinking it may get you up during the night for a pee stop,,well you may be right,,but this will only last for the short term. The benefits however are enormous.
Not just Food for Yoga. Food for Life.